The Education Act 1996 states that a child has special educational needs (SEN) if they
have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made or them.
A learning difficulty means that the child either:
a) has significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the
b) has a disability, which either prevents or hinders the child from making use of the
educational facilities which are provided for children of the same age in a
Special educational provision means educational provision, which is additional to, or
different from, the provision made generally for children of the same age in a
Everyone at Park Lane Primary School is committed to providing the conditions and
opportunities to enable any child with SEN to be included fully in all aspects of school
life. Our vision is for all members of the school community to be respected and seen to
have potential for improvement. Through effective teaching and learning, support and
encouragement and working closely with parents and carers we can enable the
fulfilment of each child’s potential.
In order to meet the special educational needs of the children at Park Lane Primary
School we must:
- Identify those children who have SEN as soon as possible.
- Provide intervention at a suitable level when a child is identified as having SEN.
- Use a variety of teaching styles, and cater for different learning styles, to allow
children with SEN to access the National Curriculum.
- Use resources effectively to support children with SEN.
- Assess and keep records of the progress of children with SEN.
- Work with outside agencies who provide specialist support and teaching for
children with SEN
- Inform and involve the parents of children with SEN so that we can work
together to support our children.
- Encourage active involvement by the children themselves in meeting their
- Provide on-going training for all staff working with children with SEN.
- Support the Every Child Matters agenda within the school.
- Pay heed to statutory Guidance for the SEN Code of Practice at Park Lane
Primary School and modify practises as Government legislation dictates.